Architects:Edmundas Andrijauskas, Aurimas Bauzys
Having existed for half a century, old ferry, which operated on the River Dane, was displaced in the Northern Cape following the decision of Klaipeda City Municipality a few years ago. Then a pier for moorage of two passenger ferries was built and a temporary crossing was installed. After nearly three years of protracted construction a new passenger terminal was completed.
The new building, according to its design architects, intrudes into the visual sea coast communication like a salient, becoming the guide and landmark of Northern Cape. Planned structure of terminal repeats the A-line angle of front contour. The building is equipped with the waiting lounge, service offices and cafe. Expressive volume echoes the forms of vessels and captures the impression of motion. The peak of lattice tower dominant has been inspired by navigation device beacon (such devices used to orient the ships coming to Klaipeda). There is a terrace on the roof of terminal which overlooks wide Klaipeda and the Curonian Lagoon as well as Smiltynės panoramas. Glazed internal spaces frame Smiltynės coasts and the ships passing the sea.
- Project ID:170
- Architects:Edmundas Andrijauskas, Aurimas Bauzys
- Architects companies:“Andrijauskas ir partneriai“ Klaipėdos architektų biuras
- Area:179 kv. m
- Constructors:Darius Narmontas
- Constructors companies:„Skomas”
- Other companies:eng. “Dobi”, „Elektros darbų projektai”, “Skruzdėliukai”, eng. Julija Rakeviciene
- Photographer:„Andrijauskas ir partneriai" Klaipėdos architektų biuras; bendro vaizdo - Joranas Bružinskas