Architects:Gražina Janulytė-Bernotienė, Ernestas Riepšas, Loreta Bulakienė, Guoda Zykuvienė, Rimantė Lydytė, Agnė Dlugoborskytė
The concept of the library is a large neat box of books – compact on the outside, but spacious inside.
The shape of the library – a glass cube, built in the historic territory of Kaunas University of Medicine Hospital complex, forming a coherent ensemble with a new Centre for the Latest Pharmaceutical and Health Technologies under construction in the Santaka Valley. The aim of the project was to build and install a modern library with information centre in line with international standards and allowing academic and the general public to provide and develop traditional and virtual information services. All places of the building are planned in such a way as to ensure the universality and economic functional longevity of the building.
The clear glass container is a naked acting organism, luminous at night. As soon as you enter through the main entrance, you are welcomed by a monumental staircase ascending directly into an imposing atrium space connecting four storeys. A flaky, full of life common space reveals before your eyes.
The library is not just an elementary building with special function, but it is also an active component of the environment – a multi-layered, democratic space intended both for gaining knowledge and spending time, communicating.
- Project ID:42
- Architects:Gražina Janulytė-Bernotienė, Ernestas Riepšas, Loreta Bulakienė, Guoda Zykuvienė, Rimantė Lydytė, Agnė Dlugoborskytė
- Architects companies:G.Janulytės- Bernotienės studija
- Area:3 937 kv. m.
- Constructors:Audrius Ražaitis, S. Česnavičius
- Constructors companies:Library of Kaunas University of Medicine and Information Centre of Health Sciences
- Other companies:Library of Kaunas University of Medicine and Information Centre of Health Sciences