The extension to the building of M. K. Čiurlionis School of Art
Architects:Mindaugas Reklaitis, Mantas Olšauskas, Irena Olšauskienė
The National M. K. Čiurlionis School of Art needed to expand, thus the wing of technologies if the Department of Fine Arts built in 2013 – a composed double pitched form – connected two old wings of the school. In the functional level this object created a very important and so far non-existent connection between the main building and the building of the Department of Fine Arts standing a bit further.
The new wing is connected to the Department of Fine Arts and pulled back from the construction line along T. Kosciuškos street, in order to leave the main and the oldest wing of the school in the foreground. The new building is connected with the latter using a covered gallery of a plastic shape. What made the functional solution complicated and intricate, was the different levels of the floor of the old buildings and the current landscape.
In order to level the heights of the old buildings, the new compact construction was raised above the ground on a glassed-in cockle. According to the authors of the project, this helped to create as if a dialogue between the old and the new, when the upper part of the building interprets the “old” architecture and the cockle represents the “new” one.
- Project ID:198
- Architects:Mindaugas Reklaitis, Mantas Olšauskas, Irena Olšauskienė
- Architects companies:„SPRIK“, „Priedanga”
- Area:1030 kv. m
- Constructors:Stanislava Michailovienė
- Constructors companies:„Priedanga”
- Other companies:The extension to the building of M. K. Čiurlionis School of Art
- Photographer:Mindaugas Reklaitis